Lemon Balm Benefits




I recently came across a tiny local organic market/tea shop in my city.  They had lots of different handmade jars of organic herbs/teas/Ayurvedic powders, etc.  

Side Note: If you know me, you know I love coffee.  Even though I love coffee, I usually only have one cup per day (in the morning).  However, for the remainder of the day, I drink tea

So while I was at this market, I opted to search for a relaxing tea that seemed to have good benefits.  Luckily, this cute store puts labels on their jars to let you know what the benefits are!  

I bought a jar of lemon balm tea (loose leaf).  Not only does this leafy herb smell and taste good, it seems to help me relax in the evenings.  

Preparation:
I put a teaspoon or two of loose leaf lemon balm in a tea strainer and fill the mug with hot water from the kettle.  

lemon balm
I added a sprig of rosemary to this particular one

About Lemon Balm (AKA Melissa Officinalis)

  • Lemon balm is a herb that comes from the mint family
  • It has been around for thousands of years
  • It has been said that this herb can help with many ailments including stress, anxiety, insomnia, cold sores, memory loss, gas/bloating and much more
  • Apparently it works as a natural bug repellent (I will try this in the summer!)
  • It has been said to have antioxidant, anti-viral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties
  • Always check with your doctor before trying anything new to make sure there are no interactions 
Clockwise from top: Jar of lemon balm tea, spray bottle with water, rosemary, baby lemon balm

As you can see in the above photo, I've decided to grow my own lemon balm.  It is apparently really easy.  This is the progress I've seen after about a week of planting the seeds.  I can't wait until summer so I can put them out on the patio and snip fresh leaves for my tea!

Baby lemon balm
Has anyone else tried lemon balm and if so, what do you think of it?  Do you find it relaxing?  

What are your favourite herbs?  Leave a comment below!  :) 

Also, please let me know if you would like me to share any more of my discoveries on herbs, etc.  

Thanks for reading, 

Lis 

*Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or medical professional.  Always consult with your physician if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medications or for any medical advice.     



Comments

Popular Posts